Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A little something about my keyboards, where/when/why:

Just to stop some speculation that might or might not be true, here are some facts about what I 
currently use.

Live:

with Sonata Arctica I still use my custom rack built by our tech genius Tero. The sound engine is the Korg M3, I have two different wireless midi systems (CME and MIDIjet pro) as well as a midi merge box by ESI (if I remember the name right), for the lead sound, I’m back with Boss pedals, A Blues Driver, Noise Suppressor and Digital Delay is the chain for that. I just got an Alesis Vortex that I will be using to control this rig. All my synth sounds live are from this combo. In addition to that I have a piano, usually rented (my own is a Korg SV-1 which I prefer when possible).

With Silent Voices I use my Korg Karma with no additional effects or stuff. This is mainly because of
logistical reasons. My M3 rig is usually somewhere with SA and with the Karma I can do the stuff that needs to be done with SV and it’s not too heavy to haul around on trains and whatnot.

In the Studio:

For the latest SA album I used the following synths: Korg: M3, SV-1 & Karma, Roland Fantom XR and the Hammond C-3. In addition to that there are some keys played by Tony, mostly using software synths….I guess ;-)

In addition to these I also make use of some stuff in my homestudio, namely Korg Triton Rack, Kurzweil K2000R, Kawai Phm, Roland JV2080. Personally I have found that the best all around synth for ”this kind of music” is the M3, At the moment the Korg Kronos would probably be a big step up from that but since there’s no module version of that, it’s not too convenient for my needs at the moment.

For those of you who ask for suggestions about what to buy, I’d rather not say anything since I don’t know your specific need and everyone likes different stuff and features anyway so it becomes kind of a moot point anyway.If you can do what needs to be done and you like how your instrument sounds and performs, your set ;-)

Enough of that…if you need to know more, post your question in the comment section and I’ll do my best to try to answer…

cheers,

Hank

21 comments:

  1. Sorry for the bad joke but...nice rack ;)

    So I WAS right, you do most of the keys for SA nowadays. People still don't believe me :(

    Also oooh, I look forward to see you with the vortex! How does it compare to your usual Roland AXs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, of course I do most of the keyboards, I'm the goddamn keyboard player, WTF ? Haven't spent too much time with the vortex yet, but so far the action on the keys is higher and there just 37keys instead of 49 or 45 so...not a problem though ;-)

      Delete
    2. Well what can I say, back in the day there was this thing where you said Tony did most melodies and you did solos, and it kinda stuck in people's minds I guess? I know it's not true because I can *tell* when it's you, but a lot of people still think wrong.

      ...speaking of key action, I've wondered for a while, do you prefer weighted keys or....? (sorry I just like keyboards even if I can't play to save my life!)

      Delete
    3. Seriously? What do they think he does then? Just stand there and look pretty, play the didgeridoo, interpretive dance, slowly translate the band's lyrics to Navajo and Boontling?

      Delete
    4. Any particular reason why you switched from the Roland AX? I just got one (AX-synth) myself, not long ago, and I love it.

      Delete
    5. As far as key action, I prefer weighted keys for the piano, for any other stuff it doesn't really matter.... I switched from the AX series because of availability and size...and also I think it's good not to get stuck with the same stuff for too long...might switch back at some point but for the moment I'll go with the Vortex

      Delete
    6. Does that mean that your official relationship with Roland is over? You are the guy who really got that AX craze going a decade ago now, and that most assuredly translated into sales, as Alesis will find out :D

      Delete
  2. about your solitary project, should come before or after the album sonata arctica?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2nd solo album won't be out before the SA one, that's for sure since I don't have the spare time to finish it at the moment with all the SA stuff happening.

      Delete
  3. Hi Henkka! I'm a keyboard player as well and I am always looking for new inspiration, instruments and tools to evolve and improve my equipment. Thanks for the pretty detailed information about your gear, but why are you using a M3 as a rack module, if you aren't using other sound engines live? I mean...why not a M3 piano (the body), so you don't need a rack, but just your pedals and the merge box?

    Nice blog btw and thanks for being so close to the fans, very important nowadays imo :).

    Greetings from Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more convenient this way since I don't always get to take my own piano with me I prefer to have the rack at all times and then just bring my own or rent a piano for the piano stuff in our shows...so it's a logistics issue, mostly ;-)

      Delete
  4. Very good information but I'm going to ask something that has to do with keyboards.
    How does it feel that your music is heard as far away as Argentina, Australia or China?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think Korg will ever gonna do a rack version of Kronos since modules seem to be quite dead as a market concept atm. Bit of a shame, as a rack version would probably make a lot more people pull the trigger. I for once dont really care much for the rompler part ( as its sound character has that triton flavor ), but MS20, Polysix and Wavestation would come in handy....

    Vortex is a nice bit of kit and Im looking forward to see how it will hold up on road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you use so many different keys. Always sounds so great! Can't wait to see which one you will use in Toronto in September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be nice to see some video series of you playing along some sonata songs, just like the people that covers you on youtube(like me). You could show some techinical things if your combi making, and all thos keyboard stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've been asked this before and although it's something that I wouldn't mind doing, there's always the issue of time. Meaning that at the moment I can't do this....if some free time opens up at some point....why not ?

      Delete
    2. That's really good to read. If maybe some day you need someone with plenty of time to edit it, I wouldn't mind it, at all! hahahahaha.

      If you don't mind on checking my videos, here is some of my covers. Hope you like!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfw9e0tZH-k
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlwZaGvzyk&feature=youtu.be

      See you in March!

      Delete
  8. Hey there! I was wandering, I own a roland synth and I want to get as close as I can to your solo lead sound (like the Cage / reckoning night's solos etc).
    What sound patch should I look for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I make my lead sound from scratch so you won't find it in any synth. For Reckoning Night for example I used a Korg Karma for the lead sound....

      Delete
  9. Hey man, big thanks on that detailed info about your rig at the time. I've always wanted to see a rig rundown of your live setup. Please consider taking 5-10 minutes on a live stage set up :-) , just to show you how your gear works in small action. Also i've wondered, the backing tracks, is the sound guy triggering them for you guys? What do you use?
    I saw recently a rig video about Nightwish and saw Tero detailing it, showing the Pro Tools sessions with the orchestral trakcs and stuff.
    Thanks for everything dude!

    ReplyDelete