Friday, April 29, 2016

SA:Recording the new album week 2

25.4. Monday
Back in business after the weekend, which seemed oddly short. I guess it was as long
as they usually are but….well, whatever. We arrived in the afternoon and by the end of the day, the first song this week was recorded….we ended quite late so it was bedtime right after that.

26.4. Tuesday
A new song for this day. We actually worked on the (probably) longest song on the album, clocking in at around 10min. It took us the whole day and we didn’t make it all the way through…almost though…does that count ?

27.4. Wednesday
I started the day by playing a solo for one of the songs we’d done earlier, before it was time to work on the next one. As you can see my entries start to repeat themselves, that’s mainly because the days do that as well. A typical day in the studio so far has gone more or less like this: Wake up, breakfast etc , then listen through the song of the day, when Tommy is tracking the drums , I figure out what to play in the other room and by the time he’s done it’s usually time for lunch. Next up is then Elias and/or Pasi and after they’re done, I track the keyboards….by the time all that has happened it’s already evening…sometimes early and sometimes late. The rest of the day is spent watching TV or Netflix and just hanging out….and that’s about it, a typical day in the studio.
Oh, the glamour ;-) It is however nice to see how the album starts to take shape, little by little, piece by piece….I wonder how it will turn out…but in a couple of months, we’ll know…and you guys have to wait some more before it’s out…

28.4. Thursday
Slept a bit longer than usual, woke up around 10 which is really late for me unless I’m on tour. Anyways, another day and another song…pretty much the standard thing as described above. In the evening I played a couple of piano parts to some of the songs we’d done earlier when I didn’t have my piano here…so at the moment we have the basic tracks for 7 songs down….not too bad for 2 weeks in the studio, when you take into account that Monday and Friday are travel days so we actually only work 4 days a week ;-) In the evening we had the time to watch some ice-hockey and then it was time to pack our bags and be ready to go back home tomorrow.

29.4. Friday
Up and about at around 0900 and after the usual morning routine we headed towards the train and a week off. So far we’ve recorded 7 songs so the album is well on it’s way, it’s really taking shape faster than ever before which of course is nice since we’re on
a deadline here ;-)

Have a nice weekend & we’ll be back in a couple of weeks.

cheers,

Henkka

29 comments:

  1. Ohhhh a long song, I'm looking forward to it! Last time you guys made a 10min song it blew me away!

    Bet Elias was happy about the Tappara win ;)

    Have a nice week off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he was happy about it ;-) It might actually be a bit under 10min but close enough....

      Delete
    2. I'm hella excited for a almost 10 minute WPBO sequel. The original is one of my favorite songs ever - I even have a line tattooed on me and it's a honor not many get ;)

      Delete
  2. 10 minute song? ooohh i'm getting excited for another epic! Your long songs always been my favourites! ^_^ I've seen some post from Tony talking about a WPBO part 2?

    I hope that now everything is going so fast it won't effect the creativity... rather wait a while for a masterpiece than have an 'ok' album within no time. But yeah, i bet you guys don't determine the deadlines so... work magic while you're at it! ;)

    Can you give us any hints on how it's gonna sound already? (noooo i'm not impatient at all! :3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the WPBO part 2, since T already posted that he wrote it, I might as well give it away that we recorded it...and it sounds absolutely amazing !!! No other hints for now though ;-) ....and BTW we do decide our own deadlines, that's never been a problem, making it in time is the real challenge...

      Delete
    2. Speaking of deadlines, is Pasi mixing this time around again?

      I feel like he'd be one busy bee between recording and mixing if that were the case.

      Delete
  3. Nice update. You better have more solos this time around. Need something to play while waiting at stoplights around here.

    BTW, sorry about the Rangers. My Wings didn't make it far either, pretty expected and quite the shame. Go Caps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your Wings man, I guess we can go with the Caps now since the Wild and Panthers are out....

      Delete
  4. Things are taking shape really fast! I know it's basic tracks, but making progress feels good huh? Gives a nice sense of accomplishment I think.
    Any hints about this 10 min. song - Larger than life II? Black pearls black oceans part deux? ;-)
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the greatest feelings is when the album is done, but sure enough these small victories on the way makes you feel good. Regarding the "10min" song, check above ;-)

      Delete
    2. F**k, I hate when I write without paying attention! I meant White pearl black oceans of course! Argh!!!!

      Delete
  5. Hey Henkka! I'm sorry for bothering, but i have a question and it's not about new album. :) Do you know the name of this intro at beginning of the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8WESaY18M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's from the Nightmare before Christmas movie, forgot what the song is called...

      Delete
    2. I think it's rather from " Corpse Bride " ;)

      Delete
    3. late reply but still... it's from Tim Burton's Corpse Bride - Victors piano solo.

      Delete
    4. It's Victor's piano solo from the Corpse bride. :)

      Delete
    5. Ahh, yes of course it's Corpse Bride...that's how well I know Tim Burton movies...I stand corrected.

      Delete
  6. Hey Henkka!
    Feeling super excited for the album!
    For the longest time I've been meaning to slip a very quick idea into your mind, that may get forgotten, but it's really been years since it has been in my mind, so I'm gonna voice it here, since I know you sometimes read the comments.
    It's not exactly related to the album, but rather a song.
    Deathaura. A couple years ago I think you commented in an interview about how the song ended up being somewhat "boring" to play live, and all these years I've had this in my mind: What if you didn't include the orchestra track and just played its parts on the keyboard? I know it may sound crazy, but White Pearl Black Oceans works with no backing track, and I truly believe Deathaura would work way better than what one may think at first if played with the keyboards and no orchestra track at all. At that, I think it could be one of the most interesting tracks to play on the keyboard.
    Anyway, dunno if you'll read this, but I just HAD to drop it, since I love the song and have it not being played is a bit sad.
    Much love and success with the new album! See you on tour next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess it could work, but I truly wonder where you've heard WPBO without any orchestral parts or backing track ? We've never played it live without backing tracks.....

      Delete
    2. Ooh, That's something I really didn't notice, other than some Tony added back-vocals, but I guess that makes my idea not as viable? :(
      Well, had to drop the idea. I know It was SUPER off topic, sorry about that!
      Looking forward to hearing more about the album :D

      Delete
  7. Is the style of the album similar to any older albums or have you guys taken a new direction? Don't need to say which album style it will be close to, secrets and such but I was wondering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be similarities and differencies ;-) Sorry, I can't reveal anything more...

      Delete
  8. Moro henkka! Tää ei liity nyt kyllä yhtää tähän postaukseen mut haluaisin tietää kun teillä on tulossa nivalan tuiskulan keikka kesäkuussa niin onko se akustinen vai sähkönen keikka? ps. mitä mieltä olet siitä että tuiskula on avattu isosti uudestaan ja mikä oli sun ensimmäinen esiintyminen siellä?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nivalan keikka on ns.normikeikka eli ei akkaria. Kuulen ensimmäistä kertaa et Tuiskula on avattu isosti uudelleen , hienoahan se varmasti on. Eka veto tais olla Requiemin kanssa joskus 2000 luvun alussa....ei millään muista...

      Delete
  9. hey Henkka the album will take a lot still to be recorded entirely ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It'll still take some weeks to get everything done...the album will be released in the fall of 2016...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey Henkka I 'm very desperate because I band fan since 2003 and I do not stop to see updates ... regarding the cover is already ready? ... because I'm crazy for the covers of SA

    ReplyDelete
  12. why do not you play more the power of one and ain't your fairytale in your shows? are epic songs and well ' ' Sonata Arctica ' '

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wil play the power of one in Kemi in August ;-)

      Delete